Saturday, February 22, 2014

Amistad in Review - Day2


Alright, let's get this wrapped up.  I have had issues getting the video loaded as my internet is pathetic.  I am at .8 Mbps and that's it.  The price for living rural.  I will add the video next week when I'm in the office, no issues there.
Staging for launch on day 1

Now, back to Amistad.  Day one was very challenging, but I felt I still had a punchers chance.  The big fish that I found in practice were still there, and the forecast for Friday was 60 and sunny.  I decided that I would go for the big sack and commit to the run regardless of the outcome.  I don't know if it was gut's or stupidity, but either way I felt I needed 20 pounds to get back in contention.  Cow Creek was the only place I found that gave me that chance.  I put 20 pounds in the boat in less than an hour in practice, and I was only searching! 

After arriving in the creek, I noticed the water temp was still similar to Thursday, hovering at 49.  Within the first hour, I stuck number one on a Picasso bait ball swimming the rig through suspended fish on the side of tapering point.  I could see the fish suspended in 15-25 feet of water near suspended baitfish.  I keyed on them by positioning out and casting to the edge of the drop or ledge, slow rolling the rig off the drop.  I spent the majority of my day moving back and forth between the two arms, keying on drops that had suspended fish.  I did manage to hook up a large Tilapia (foul hooked) and two large Stripers.  Unfortunately, Stripers don't count and the Bass never responded.  I finished the day relocating to a creek channel swing and trying to get bit on a football jig.  One bite on the jig, but I failed to get a hook up.

Cris Bowes is gracious to allow us to thank sponsors

Winner's Patterns:

In retrospect, I had found the same thing the leaders had found.  Creek channel's with baitfish and a defined ledge.  The leader's; however, had a slightly different approach.  I had keyed into the fish relating to the ledge, and positioned my retrieve to fall with the drop.  The leader's keyed on the channel bottom, casting into the channel at the base of the ledge, letting their rigs get to the bottom and then slow rolling the rig along the bottom.  So often, you can get 99% figured out and miss the 1% key detail that closes the deal.

Am I disappointed?  Of course, but I also know that my research was correct, my practice was good, and I had found what I needed.  Execution was the key to my finish.  I am not; however, disappointed in my decision to go for it.  Yes, I could have used the points with a higher finish and a check would have been satisfying.  However, if you don't roll the dice, a win is difficult to obtain.


I want to again mention MoMan Lures, Okuma and McKinney Custom Tackle.




If you are in need of Tubes, jigs, custom painted baits or rods and reels, check out their gear.

Thanks, God bless and good fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment