Monday, July 15, 2013

Family Time

Just finished one of the most important fishing events of the year, my wife's family reunion.  Fishing event?  Absolutely!  Family time, whether with our spouse and kids or with our extended family is a critical part of recharging our batteries.  I look forward to seeing my wifes family every summer and spending precious time camping, conversing, eating (of course) and listening to old stories.  We also had just enough time to visit some of my family in the area before we had to make the trek home.   It's always fun and we miss them dearly.

So why do I call this a fishing event?  Because, as humans we occasionally need to step back and recharge the batteries.  Family time gives us a moment to reflect on the relationships that define who we are and rekindle the critical ties that identify why we are.  I have not made the full transition yet, but even my fishing schedule is pretty busy. 

Prep time.

I am now making preparations for the remainder of the season.  I am halfway through and although the first half has been pretty successful; I know that I need to continue the real work to hopefully continue that success.  I am reviewing lake conditions, fishing reports, lake maps, topography, making lures (yes, I make some of my own) and reassessing my gear.  Preparation is a key component to being successful (see the post: Formula for Success).  I am excited to captain a boat for the 2013 State High School Bass Tournament.  I'll be spending some time over the next week or so creating a game plan for the tournament.  This involves fishing and refining a pattern that fits the skills of the boys I'll be taking.   After that I'll be fishing the 2013 Nebraska Mr. Bass Tournament, a few Western Nebraska tournaments and getting ready for the last two Bassmaster Central Opens.

The light is green and I am recharged!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment