Monday, August 19, 2013

Stayin' fresh and Preppin' for WNTT

I had the opportunity to get out on Harlan this weekend. 

The bite is finally starting to pick up on largemouth bass.  Despite the lower water, the fishing is excellent right now. 

I lucked onto an accidental frog bite Saturday and even caught a couple on a swim bait and tube.  I say accidental because I only threw the frog because I had pulled it out to get it out of the way.  I picked up the rod and something nudged me to throw it (it looked right).  First cast was rewarded with a 4.  Despite that, I still put it doen and grabbed a buzz bait.  Two hookups and losses  prompted me to pick the frog back up and guess what?  A 2 1/2 on the next cast.  Soooooo, I decided to stick with it and filled a nice limit around 20 pounds, including a 6 plus kicker.  The fish were relating to wood and were cruising the outer edges of the heaviest cover.  Even caught some whites, a big drum and a good cat.  Everything swam free.  Overall, a great day.

Conditions: Overcast, SE wind around 15, water temp 73.

White Bass are shallow (less than 3 feet) with many limits being reported.  Cats are shallow and aggressive.





Preppin!

I'm finalizing my prep for the Western Nebraska Bass Tournament Trail at Merritt this weekend.  I haven't been to the lake since 2003, so I will be at a disadvantage from recent experience.  I have however put together a game plan based on available information.  The first day will be an exercise in breaking down a lake, catching enough to be competitive and preparing for a successful day 2.  I had planned to get up there for some pre-fishing this year, but circumstances haven't allowed for that.  So, I'll go in with a good attitude and Hopefully my homework pays off.  The lake will be quite different this year as water levels are much higher than normal (for this time of year).  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment