Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fall Swing

It's a busy time as I finish the fall season.  First, I decided to fish the Tournament of Champions for Western Nebraska this past weekend.  I was unsure as the lake selection was for Merritt again and I still have not had an opportunity to practice there, but I went anyway.  This is especially important as the Western Nebraska Bass Tournament Trail has spectacular sponsors in Okuma, Baxter Ford and Mercury Marine.  Okuma provided 6 Helios reels and rods (I can say try these if you never have), Mercury, a new Motorguide trolling motor and Baxter provides Big Bass ($100) for every tournament.  Thank you to all the sponsors as they are a vital part of any tournament organization! 

As for the fishing, well let's just say I zigged when I should have have zagged.  I ran to the back of the creek first thing and committed to those fish despite a lot of rain.  Unfortunately, the water temps dropped too much and by the time the bite picked up, it was too late.  I managed 1 keeper.  Day 2 brought sunny conditions and milder temps and I adjusted back to the outer half of the creek.  Much better choice, but I had a poor execution day as I had 4 keeper bites and boated 1.  On a very tough day with low weights, I needed to boat them all, but that's fishing.  I want to say congrats to the team of Phillipi and Young!!!


Now for the finish, on my way to Mississippi next week to fish the last central open on Ross Barnett.  It is going to be fun as the lake fishes to my strengths.  I'm looking for another solid finish as I'm sitting in 2nd overall in the season standings (out of 261 anglers).  I will be pre-fishing with a friend and pro, Jon Englund.  The goal is to locate the pattern that provides the best average catch and then execute cleanly.  I'll break down the tournament once it's over.

As for the boat?  I'm working with a couple of Triton dealers towards a possible upgrade.  My goal is to be in a new Triton next year as I jump into the pro division.  I'll detail this after I make my selection in a later post.

For now, good fishing and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment