Thursday, October 10, 2013

Mississippi on my Mind (Co-angler tips)

Getting ready for the last Bassmaster Central Open of the season.  This one is on Ross Barnett, a historical bass venue that fishes shallow.  I'm really excited as the "Rez" (as locals call it) fishes to my strengths.  Doesn't mean anything with regards to finishing, but at least I'll get to finish the year doing what I like best. 

But first, I want to say congratulations to our friends Craig and Shirley Poyser and their daughter Kaylyn.  Kaylyn's wedding is Saturday and we will be their to celebrate the occasion.  This is an exciting time and I want to offer my best wishes to Kaylyn and Richard.  I wish you both a long and happy union!

Now back to the prep.  I've been doing the usual, preparing tackle, scouring reports, tournament results, current and seasonal patterns, etc.  I put together a plan, but I am fishing the co-angler side.  That is the unknown that keeps you wondering.  So, how does a co-angler prepare?  Let me list a few things that I believe help a co prepare and fish to be successful.

First, do you're homework.  What patterns and techniques are likely to be in play during your trip.  What baits are typically used to be successful.  In todays world of the internet, information is available on tournament results, fishing reports and even best recommended patterns.  I always want to be a little different, but if reports indicate a lake is dominated by a bait type, color or technique, there is a reason for it.

Secondly, prepare yourself for the predominant techniques, but also set up something slightly different.  At the Arkansas, I knew that flipping was going to be key.  My pro partners flipped texas rigged craws.  So instead of flipping the same thing, I opted for a flipping tube in a slightly different shade.  I wanted to trigger bites from fish that ignored their baits, but would eat something a little more subtle.  When they chuck a spinnerbait, try a different blade type.  I like to follow with a colorado or indiana blade if they throw willows, or vice versa.  They key here is follow the lead differently.  What I mean is, if they are covering water then do the same, but with a different bait/presentation.  If they slow down, then slow down, just a little differently.  This is key to being successful when following someone.  This also works well when fishing an area that has already been fished by another boat. 

Lastly, be aware of what everyone around you is doing, but also be aware of what is going on in the water.  Occasionally, I see a fish move (wake) or a bush or grass shake, baitfish skip or flee or even a shadow that looks out of place.  I immediately cast to, or alter my retrieve to target that fish.  Usually, this works, but not always.  Stay focused and execute.  You get less opportunities when your fishing the back deck, so missing a key strike can be costly.  And most importantly, stay positive.  A negative attitude will impact your ability to execute effectively.  My last tournament is a perfect example.  I had zero fish in the livewell with 1 hour to fish.  I managed 2 quality fish and even missed the third in the last hour.  That was my best bag of the tournament even though I only had 2, but I might have missed out if I didn't remain focused.

Hopefully that helps someone out.  I will be following these keys next week and hope to have another strong finish.  So, see you after the tournament, good fishing and god bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment