Tuesday, May 7, 2013

2013 Bass Pro Shops Bassmaster Opens #1 Red River, Shreveport, LA

Fishing the Central Opens as a co-angler this year. 
My goal is to fish as a pro next year and top 50 co-anglers get priority entry on the pro side next year. 
This was an interesting experience!  Not from the fishing perspective, but from the co-anglers perspective.  Fishing as the back-seater in a major pro/co-angler format is a definite eye opener.  It really is luck of the draw in some instances.  I met a few good pro's and am really looking forward to the next event.  I decided to go a little early, but the boater I was supposed to go with didn't show (to the tournament).  Thank you to Jon Englund for letting me hop into his boat on Wednesday.  Thursday was learning day.  Although the pro I was paired with was on a flipping bite, I went for 3 quality bites and only managed 1.  After I finally switched to a senko (to follow-up), I managed one more small keeper to finish the day in 136th place!  OUCH!!!  After a little sulking and a pep talk from my wife (super motivator), I gathered a plan for the next day.  Fortunately, I was paired with a pro, Doug Anderson, who had located an area with quality potential.  I caught my limit (including a 5-6), culled once and lost a solid 3-4 pounder that would have put me in the top 12 (I know, everyone loses fish, but you can't lose 'em at this level).  All said, a success as I moved up to 44th and a spot inside the top 50 (my GOAL).  I still have 2 more to go, but I can live with the results. 

My goal for the next open is top 40 (preferably top 12)!

No comments:

Post a Comment