Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Big Other

Ever wonder what that big strike was?  I often hear statements like, "that one was huge" or "if I could have caught the missed strikes, I'd have won".  Yes, we all miss fish, but sometimes it's not what we envision.  Take for instance, the day I was dragging a tube, trying to get my son into position to cast to a sweet spot.  We were catching bass, so when I felt a tick and set the hook I knew I had a "monster".  I told my son, "if this is a bass, it is a state record.  Well, it was a bass, just not the right kind.  That one weighed a whopping 11 pounds on the scale.  State record?  Not hardly.




If that isn't enough, I recently had a first for me.  I was out with my wife and since it's immediate post spawn, I thought throwing a large swimbait (5.5 inch Berkley Havoc Sick Fish) might present a tempting treat for a big fish.  The first one I caught was this. Not large, but a good start with a 2.5 pounder.  That's when it got interesting.  I felt a solid strike (and I mean solid), set up and this is what I got.









Crappie????  I figured it was a fluke, so I changed locations and kept throwing the swimbait.  That's when I got another, then another (I lost that one).
As for the strikes, the crappie hit that bait harder than the bass.  They crushed it!






Crazy stuff!  So next time your out and you miss a fish, question yourself.  Was it really a bass?  Maybe, maybe not.  The only ones we can really be sure about are the ones in the boat.

Lake Conditions:  Generally clear except for river inflow, lake temp mid 60's main lake, upper 60's to low 70's in backs of coves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment